Today it’s time to reveal the score of the third band playing the Dutch Heavy Music Quiz 2016. After Soilwork (23) and Grand Magus (7), it’s now time for the popular Portuguese gothic metal band Moonspell. At Graspop I talked with Miguel Gaspar (drums/founder) and asked him the 10 questions about Dutch heavy music.
1. Which Dutch magazine for metal music was founded in 1980 by Metal Mike and Stefan Rooyackers?
Miguel: I need the options. Haha… I have something in my head, but I can’t remember the name.
Anton: Metal Hammer, Aardschok or Rockhard.
Miguel: Aardschok. Of course!
Anton: I said you would know this one. One point for you. Question number 2.
2. Which Dutch symphonic metal band is founded by Mark Jansen and got their name from Kamelot’s sixth album, released in 2003?
Miguel: Yes, that’s Epica. For sure.
Anton: You know Epica?
Miguel: We just toured in America. We know them for years. So I know Ariën and Simone very well.
Anton: Cool! 4 points for you!
3. In 1990 Iron Maiden covered the song ‘Kill Me Ce Soir’. From which famous Dutch rock band is this song originally.
Miguel: I have to hear the options. That’s a long time ago. Haha…
Anton: Focus, Golden Earring or Brainbox.
Miguel: I have no idea. Never heard of one of them.
Anton: Never? It was the Golden Earring. They had also some hits in America with ‘Radar Love’ and ‘When The Lady Smiles’.
Miguel: No, I’m sorry. Haha…
Anton: No problem. Still 4 points for you!
4. What have the Dutch death metal bands Asphyx, Pestilence and Hail of Bullets in common?
Miguel: The all play death metal? Haha…
Anton: That’s for sure!
Miguel: The same guy? Maybe the same vocalist?
Anton: Yeah! It was Martin van Drunen. You know him?
Miguel: Yes, I met him before. I think it started in 1995 during some festivals. Pure death metal.
Anton: Cool you know that one. 7 points already.
5. In 2014 musician and composer Arjen Lucassen worked together with the female singer Anneke van Giersbergen on a musical metal project. What was the name of this Dutch project?
Miguel: Has it something to do with the drummer of Gorefest?
Anton: No, not with Ed Warby. I’m looking for Arjen Lucassen.
Miguel: I know she also had a project with her husband. But, give me the options.
Anton: The Gentle Storm, Star One or Stream Of Passion.
Miguel: Stream Of Passion maybe?
Anton: No, it was The Gentle Storm.
Miguel: Never heard of it. I also remember Anneke did a project with the singer of Strapping Young Lad. The bold guy. And I’m also sure Anneke did something with Ed Warby.
Anton: I’m not sure, but maybe Ed Warby was the drummer at The Gentle Storm record? So you know Ed Warby?
Miguel:Yes, sure. I think it was 1996 we started to do some shows together with Gorefest. Also a long time ago! Haha…
Anton: Haha… It is! But still nice to hear! Question number 6
6. Which Dutch DJ, composer and musician worked together with Sepultura, Fear Factory and Dog Eat Dog?
Miguel: I have now idea. What are the option. Maybe I recognize some names. Haha…
Anton: Hardwell, Rude Boy or Junkie XL.
Miguel: I would say Junkie XL. It’s the only name I recognize.
Anton: Yes, that’s correct! It was a guess?
Miguel:Well, surf a lot on the Internet so I see a lot of stuff.
Anton: Nice. He remixed ‘A Little Less Conversation’ from Elvis Presley in 2002, which became a worldwide number one hit. Now he’s mainly composing music for movies like Spiderman, Mad Max and Batman.
7. A very popular metal band from The Netherlands is Carach Angren. What type of metal do they play?
Miguel: I have really no idea. Death metal?
Anton: That’s your final answer?
Miguel: Just guessing, so yes. Haha…
Anton: No. It was black/horror metal.
8. Which Dutch punk band played over 1500 shows and still holds the record of best sold Dutch punk album?
Miguel: I need the options.
Anton: De Heideroosjes, The Ex or The Apers.
Miguel: Haha… Never heard of them. The Ex maybe?
Anton: No. De Heideroosjes. Still 8 points for you.
9. Floor Jansen is since 2012 the lead singer of Nightwish. In which Dutch symphonic metal band was she singing between 1997 and 2009?
Miguel: That’s After Forever.
Miguel: We worked with them a couple of years ago. We actually asked Floor to sing a song (Scorpion Flower) with us, but that she had other things to do. So we asked Anneke to do it!
Anton: Ow? Nice.
Miguel: But Floor is a fabulous vocalist. The played right after us at Rock in Rio last year. So I really enjoyd that show.
Anton: Yes, Floor is doing a very good job with Nightwish. Great to see. 11 points for you. Last question.
10. Which Dutch hardrock band scored a worldwide hit in 1982 with the song ‘Burning Heart’?
Miguel: That sounds familiar. What are the options?
Anton: Jackal, Sleez Beez or Vandenberg.
Miguel: Is it Vandenberg?
Anton: Yes! So you know Adrian Vandenberg? He also played with Whitesnake.
Miguel: Yes, of course. But he is Dutch? I thought he was Swedish. Haha…
Anton: Haha… No, he’s a real Dutch man.
Miguel: Dutch history! You’ve got a lot!
Anton: You scored 12 points. Not bad. Number two right now.
Miguel: Nice. It was a pleasure. Nice to meet you and enjoy the festival
Anton: Thanks a lot and enjoy your tour as well!
Moonspell: 12 points. Check all the other bands that played the Dutch Heavy Music Quiz 2016.